Rockwood's Sport Psych Class Calender

Thursday, April 10, 2008

Olympic Spirit

In the spirit of full disclosure I need to explain that I feel particularly connected with the Olympic Torch. I carried the Torch through Maple Valley, WA for the 1996 Summer Olympics in Atlanta. It was one of the highlighting experiences of my life. (Click HERE for a picture.)

Now that you understand my background, let me give you my thoughts. I am appalled at the current protesting associated with the Olympic flame. the Olympics is NOT the right venue for voicing political protest, no matter how just the cause. In fact, it goes against the very spirit of the Olympics. It is intended to be apolitical and foster peace. It reminds me of the 1980 boycott of the Moscow games; what a tragedy for the athletes.

When I see protesters actively seeking to put out and/or disrupt the flame, I don't see their just cause on behalf of Tibet. I see hatred for the Olympic ideals of peace through sports.

I have more to say, but I am out of time for now.

No comments: